Friday, October 1, 2010

Stick Project

Final Product

Part
For this assignment we had to create a container for 12 sticks. I had originally thought of 12 as twelve months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 birthstones. I also considered how years continually progress in a cycle: one year ends and the next one begins without fail. This reminded me of a circle, it keeps on going with no beginning and no end. I also wanted to use a unique bonding agent, one that no one else would think of. I thought melted wax would make an interesting final product. So I decided to incorporate all of these ideas into one container. I made the container out of 12 tower-like paper objects, made at a 30 degree angle to make a complete circle. In the bottom of each 'tower', I cut out a different zodiac symbol. In each symbol I put a colored piece of paper, the color corresponding to the birthstone of each zodiac's month. To signify the year growing from beginning to end, I made the sticks for the early part of the year smaller, and they progressively grew larger as they year got later. 


Zodiac Signs & Wax
First Prototype



Unfortunately, the wax was messy, and in the critique, I was told that all the zodiacs were too much for my project. So I simplified everything, and changed my bonding agent. 

Top View

Base

I.created 12 more 'towers' and used a rubber band to hold them together.  I placed the sticks, still progressing from large to small, inside the center of the container, and my final product was complete. I am very pleased with the outcome of my project. I feel that this is my best project yet, and I learned a lot from the process of creating it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment